Doctor's Search

About Us

Our Philosophy

About Us

Our Lady of Consolation Kisubi is Private Not for Profit (PNFP) Hospital owned by Kampala Archdiocese. It is found in Wakiso District, Katabi Sub-county – Kisubi parish. – Nkima Road It is located 23 km along Kampala-Entebbe highway, 1.5km off the main road branching off at Kawuku trading centre.  It is the main referral facility for Busiro South HSD, also serving areas like Entebbe, Kyadondo South and Busiro East and hence the headquarters for the Health Sub District.

The Hospital has a bed capacity of 100.It is committed to a holistic, integrated and sustainable action in health. This includes treatment, prevention, health promotion and staff development. We also offer community health services like: home visiting, health education, school health, malaria prevention and control. The hospital aims to promote access to healthcare for the less privileged and vulnerable social groups like women, children, the financially destitute, and the chronically ill.

Who we are
Staff Administration
Hospital Management
Our Ideology
Guiding Principles
Equity

Who we Are

Since the patient is at the centre of all activities of Kisubi Hospital, a basic attitude of respect for the human dignity is the guidance for all and no distinctions of ethnic origin, social status; religious or political affiliation is made. Kisubi Hospital is becoming a multi-specialty hospital with special clinics run by professionals i.e. pediatric clinic, Diabetic/Hypertension Clinic, Obstetrics and Gynecology clinic, Dental clinic, Skin Clinic, HIV/AIDS clinic, Orthopaedic/Physiotherapy clinic.

Our effort to provide quality health care with compassion has rewarded us with the honor of being the top PNFP Hospital in Wakiso District.  With the service-oriented Healthcare delivery model, Kisubi Hospital is geared to provide cost effective and user friendly medication. Justice, universality and equality marks the work of all the officers and staff members of Kisubi hospital.  Their work is done in a professional way and in a spirit of total dedication and transparency in accordance with the catholic ethical code.  Human life being sacred, the basic attitude of all personnel is healing of the person with total respect for life.

The establishment of a Health Center at Kisubi was decided in 1904 by the General Council of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Africa with a view of helping those who were suffering from “Sleeping sickness” (the “sleepers” as they were then called). As early as 1903, the white Fathers had set up a health Care unit at Kisubi, soon the number of “Mmongoota” patients was rapidly increasing that a dispensary (Hospital) was needed. Bishop Henry Streicher, the then Apostolic Vicar of the Uganda Vicariate, decided to send a team of sisters to Kisubi to combat the plaque. On 29th December 1905, five missionary Sisters of Our lady of Africa led by Mother Honorat as their superior arrived in Kisubi at noon, when the Angelus bell was ringing. The work of starting a health care unit was immediately embarked on and with the assistance of local people; a few huts were built in which patients with sleeping sickness were nursed.

After World War II, the hospital really started developing; in 1950 a new 30-bed maternity ward was built. The year 1957 saw the appointment of the first resident doctor at the hospital by the name of Sr.Dr. Myriem (a white sister) who had specialized in treating children. It is worth nothing that all the buildings established at Kisubi Hospital were financed with aid from the Mother-house of the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Africa While other instruments and Hospital equipment for surgery were donated by charitable Institutions and organizations like Menisa, Misereor, the Holy childhood, the Belgium and Dutch Embassies, the Canadian High Commission.

As the time of Missionaries, including the White Sisters, coming to Uganda dwindled it was felt that time had come to hand over the Hospital to the indigenous Religious sisters. From 1986 onwards, definite and appropriate steps were taken in preparation for a smooth and effective hand- over of Kisubi Hospital. And on 23rd February 1988 the management of Kisubi hospital was effectively passed on to the sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Reparatrix. Gradually, the Hospital developed and by 1915 two-roomed small houses were built as a Hospital. Four years later, three more wards were established. In 1925 when the Government realized a very high infantile mortality especially at birth, it started training a scheme for midwives at a greater rate and contributed generously towards the construction of a 15-bed maternity ward at Kisubi Hospital.