The establishment of a Health Center at Kisubi was decided in 1904 by the General Council of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Africa with a view of helping those who were suffering from “Sleeping sickness” (the “sleepers” as they were then called). As early as 1903, the white Fathers had set up a health Care unit at Kisubi, soon the number of “Mmongoota” patients was rapidly increasing that a dispensary (Hospital) was needed. Bishop Henry Streicher, the then Apostolic Vicar of the Uganda Vicariate, decided to send a team of sisters to Kisubi to combat the plaque. On 29th December 1905, five missionary Sisters of Our lady of Africa led by Mother Honorat as their superior arrived in Kisubi at noon, when the Angelus bell was ringing. The work of starting a health care unit was immediately embarked on and with the assistance of local people; a few huts were built in which patients with sleeping sickness were nursed.
After World War II, the hospital really started developing; in 1950 a new 30-bed maternity ward was built. The year 1957 saw the appointment of the first resident doctor at the hospital by the name of Sr.Dr. Myriem (a white sister) who had specialized in treating children. It is worth nothing that all the buildings established at Kisubi Hospital were financed with aid from the Mother-house of the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Africa While other instruments and Hospital equipment for surgery were donated by charitable Institutions and organizations like Menisa, Misereor, the Holy childhood, the Belgium and Dutch Embassies, the Canadian High Commission.
As the time of Missionaries, including the White Sisters, coming to Uganda dwindled it was felt that time had come to hand over the Hospital to the indigenous Religious sisters. From 1986 onwards, definite and appropriate steps were taken in preparation for a smooth and effective hand- over of Kisubi Hospital. And on 23rd February 1988 the management of Kisubi hospital was effectively passed on to the sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Reparatrix. Gradually, the Hospital developed and by 1915 two-roomed small houses were built as a Hospital. Four years later, three more wards were established. In 1925 when the Government realized a very high infantile mortality especially at birth, it started training a scheme for midwives at a greater rate and contributed generously towards the construction of a 15-bed maternity ward at Kisubi Hospital.