The following instructions are available for your convenience. If you have any questions
Why is my information verified during registration?
It is important for the laboratory to have correct and complete information from you. This information will allow us to return your test results to your provider as quickly as possible. Please bring the following:
• Laboratory request form;
• Payment receipt or insurance information;
• Photo ID recommended, but not required.
How long will it take to have my blood drawn?
The length of time depends on the number of tests on your laboratory request form. Patients are seen in the order they arrive. We will collect your specimens as quickly as possible and we appreciate your patience. All patients are registered prior to testing and orders will be electronically entered into our laboratory computer system. Patients that have short turn around time orders or timed testing requirements shall take priority. If you do not have a fasting blood test ordered, we suggest that you arrive after the early morning hours to shorten your wait time this is because QCs and daily maintenance are run till 9.00am.
Does my testing have any special requirements?
Some tests do have special requirements. Please check with your Doctor regarding any medications that you are taking, and do not discontinue these unless requested by your Doctor to do so. Your Doctor will tell you in advance if your tests require the following:
• Fasting – Some tests require fasting for accurate results. Fasting means that you must not have anything to eat, drink or chew. This includes coffee, juice, tea, alcohol, chewing gum or other candy or lozenge. You may drink water, but not more than usual. Lab fasting recommendations: Fasting glucose – 8 hours; Lipid Profile – 12 hours and oral glucose tolerence test (OGTT)
• Glucose Tolerance: You will have to stay at the Hospital for the duration of the test. For two hour, three hour or longer tolerance tests, you must be fasting and will be required to drink Glucose.
Who do I contact with questions about my results?
The laboratory staff is unable to share results with patients. Please contact your Doctor for any questions you may have about your lab results.
• If there is an abnormal result on one of your lab tests, your Doctor will call you as soon as possible;
• If your lab results are normal, you will be notified by mail or sms.
• If you have not been notified of your lab results within two weeks, please contact your Doctor.
Why do my Microbiology results take long?
Microbiology results can take up to 21 days but for bacterial culture this may take 3-5 working days. Some bacteria may grow faster than the others depending on your immunity or level of antibiotic exposure. At times when a non-significant organism is isolated you may be requested to provide another sample because some samples may have multiple growths of organism which may need to be treated separately taking a longer period than anticipated.
What do I have to do before taking a microbiology test?
We recommend that you do not take any antibiotics before having your sample taken off for culture. This is because antibiotics will interfere with your final test results. Take only drugs given to you by your doctor and come back for review on that slotted date. Since your test results may suggest a change in the drugs given to you at your first visit.